Will is Head of SEO at Builtvisible, leading one of Europe’s most revered organic search consulting teams. With over 8 years of agency experience to his name, Will has undertaken hundreds of Log File Analysis projects spanning every major vertical. He loves nothing more than auditing enterprise-level websites with tens of millions of indexed pages and has done so for some of the world’s largest brands.
Who should attend this course?
This course is suited to attendees with a fundamental understanding of technical SEO who want to deepen their understanding of log files. However, it will cater to a variety of different experience levels, from beginners through to more experienced SEOs.
What you'll need to bring along
If you register for one of our training courses you don’t only get a day of in-depth and practical training from some of the industry’s most respected professionals, you also get a ticket to Europe’s biggest specialist SEO event.
100% Money Back Guarantee
There’s simply no worse feeling than putting aside a day out of the office to go to a training course, handing over your cash and a course failing to live up to your expectations.
We do all we possibly can to make our courses the best you’ve attended but if you ever feel we didn’t live up to your expectations, we’ll give you a total refund, no questions asked.
Log files are one of the most valuable yet often overlooked data sources that a technical SEO has at their disposal. Whereas crawling tools will mimic how search engines might crawl through your site and flag any issues they may encounter, log files will show you the exact crawling behaviour of Google, Bing and the other search engines. That is incredibly powerful.
Being able to decipher the information contained within your website’s log files will allow you to make decisions based on real search engine data, not hunches. When you know exactly where to look and what to look for, you can gain insights into how efficiently search engines are able to crawl, the pages they think are the most important, errors they’re encountering with any of your pages resources, and much, much more.
Here are some of the things you’ll learn throughout this highly interactive course:
- The background on how Google prioritises, schedules and crawls pages, and the algorithms that determine this process.
- The components of a log file and log file request, and the key elements you should be keeping an eye on.
- Some of the main log file tools that you can use for your analysis.
- Identifying the different search engines and bots that visit your site, and how requests are distributed between them.
- How to track and trend search engine crawl activity and issues over time.
- How to identify pages that search engines determine as the most important for crawling.
- Identifying areas of waste and URL duplication on your site that are using up crawl budget.
- The issue of crawler traps, and how to using log files to spot and fix them.
- How to use log file data to enhance your 404 error and redirect analysis.
- Using log files for site speed and performance insights, including identifying pages with large download times and large file sizes.
- How to identify internal linking and site architecture optimisation opportunities from your log file data.
- How to layer other data sources such as customer analytics and search data on top of your log files to get a more complete picture of your site’s crawlability, technical health and performance.
At the end of this session, you will have gained a deeper understanding of the different tools and methods for leveraging the multitude of insights than can be gained from log files, and use those findings to enhance the performance your own website.
Register - Brighton Session
Why Train with BrightonSEO
Experts, not Trainers
We won’t waste your time sitting you in front of full time trainers who haven’t got their hands dirty for god knows how long; we get experts from different fields of the industry on board to give you the information they know works, not just the theory of what’s supposed to.
Specific, Detailed and Unique
Most training providers are looking for a course they can run month after month, week after week, so they end up being general and catch-all. Not our courses … they’re more detailed and in-depth than you’ll find anywhere else.
You Drive the Agenda
We don’t drive the agenda, you do. Before each training course, we ask what you want to be taught, and we actually listen. All the workshops we run have been selected because they’re the most commonly requested training subjects useful to you.
The group sizes are ideal, more than a handful to offer a bit of diversity and substance to the day, but small enough that the training can remain hands-on and personal, making sure all questions are directly answered.
The Perfect Duration
The day runs from 9.30-4.00 to keep it punchy. Any longer than that and it starts to drag, any shorter and you’re not able to properly sink your teeth into what you’re covering. Don’t worry, you’ll also get plenty of breaks to network.
Proper Food & Drink
There’s a couple of coffee breaks, morning and afternoon, and we also provide a proper lunch. That’s right, we’re talking real food with beer and wine rather than soggy sandwiches or mush slopped from a tray.